Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sunflowers when they still looked good

Summer of 2007 was our first year in this house. We had it built the year before.
There had never been any structures on this 2 acres, of a large farm.
We had one of these sunflower plants come up on it's on last year.
This year we had 20 plants. Just think next year. The only thing about it is, the flowerbed they are coming up in is the one between the sidewalk and the front of the house. Not exactly my pick of where I would have sunflowers. But I could have pulled them up before they got big if I really didn't want them.
Notice the last one has a caterpillar feasting on it.

This is all we have left (photographs) since they have been pulled up, gone for this year. Not sure how many thousands of seeds are now under the new mulch.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't recall ever seeing that color Sunflower before, only the yellow ones. I know what you mean about flowers that reseed themselves! They are pretty.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I've never seen that color sunflower before either. Very pretty!

A Colorful World said...

Really lovely! I have a new-found joy of sunflowers just the last few years, and enjoyed some seeds gathered in Nebraska by my brother, that came up nicely in my yard last year. And the goldfinch came, too, but you are right, they are wary.

Shelley said...

I really love that darker color of the sunflower - never seen it but it's very attractive.

Mary C said...

Oh, that's my favorite color sunflower. I bet you miss them. I sure hope you have more next year.

Teresa said...

I would love to have had some of those seeds to try to get come up next year!

Teresa said...

I had some "volnteer" sunflowers come up this summer and the goldfinches loved them but I couldnt never get close enough to photograph them.