Friday, August 15, 2008

Hackberry Emperor butterfly

Another butterfly I have not been able to id. Just saw it for the first time on Thursday. These are the only photos I got of it. Notice the last one, all the circles. I am sure there is a name for that, but I am still learning, as you can tell with me asking for help with 3 different butterflies all on the same day.



UPDATE: Thank you Ecobirder for sending me in the correct direction. It is a Hackberry Emperor butterfly. Still need help for the post previous to this one.

4 comments:

SaraG said...

Hi there. Thanks for the comment. We had to add some stepping stones. The two concrete risers in the midst of the flower garden are acually for our septic tank and we get it pumped out about every three years and wanted someplace for the guy to walk across without ruining our garden!!
So, we thought about adding the stepping stones. They turned out good and don't distract too much from the garden.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Leedra: That butterfly looks like a Monarch Butterfly. Check for photos on the internet to be sure.

Ecobirder said...

My guess is that this one is a hackberry emperor. I will be posting a picture of one later today. Look at it and see if you think that I am correct.

Leedra said...

I have gotten my butterfly book out after Ecobirder left this comment and also looked at his blog photo. I agree it is a Hackberry Emperor. The last photo is the best one for being sure.