Thursday, August 14, 2008

Datura - Angel Trumpet

Most people (me included) call these Angel Trumpet plants. They are not the real Angel Trumpet, but are more common in this area than the real Angel Trumpet. Probably because these are hardy, so they do return if planted outside. The other is not hardy in this area.They open at dusk, and close when the sun hits them. They smell heavenly.


Happy Birthday to my brother, Gerry! Got one in college now. How does that feel? Probably no worse than turning 50 does. Remember Trip and Frances will keep you young. Love you!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your photo, I have a photo of mine on my site. Check it out, it's whit in the middle and purple on the outside a double ruffle. Hey I'm told and have researched that these plants or narcotic. Don't burn them. Do you know if this is true, also outlawed in some areas?

SaraG said...

Great pics, as always!!
Thanks for your comment.
I found the Angel at the Cracker Barrel Restraunt. I had been looking and looking for the perfect angel for his tree, the one we had out there was getting wore out and looking poorly. When I seen this angel I knew it was the one.
Take care

Leedra said...

They are poisonous, I was told to be careful with the seeds and seed pods. After I had handled a sandwich bag of the seeds, which was 1000s of seeds. Alot of your common plants are poisonous. I think I have seen your photo, or somebody elses. I will check it out. I had the purple and white version given to me twice, but neither time did they do well, and then did not return the next year.

Unknown said...

So the seeds and seed pods are what's poisonous? The info I read said it was narcotic to smoke and some of those that have smoked it are no longer with us. I'll be very careful and warn my children. Thanks. I know that there is some part poisonous on just about every plant........

Leedra said...

Don't know about the smoking. Some people will try anything. Can't imagine what part they would smoke, but some people will try anything. As you said, they aren't with us anymore.