Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Barn at Tipton Place in Cades Cove

I always have to stop at this barn when I am in Cades Cove. When I was 18 years old and visiting Cades Cove for the first time I stepped up on a ladder in this barn. When I stepped down I stepped on a nail. Got a tetanus booster shot because of it. Several years later I also worked with a decendant of this family. I can never go to Cades Cove without thinking fondly of C.O. Tipton, we called him Tip. He has been retired for many years now, boy, the stories he could tell. He was a real story teller, he captured everybody's attention when he started with one of his great stories. Last time I heard, his health was failing, and I keep meaning to go see him. I called him on his birthday a couple of years ago, and he was shocked I knew it was his birthday.
I also had a real hard time waiting here for a shot without people, but it was worth it for me.

5 comments:

troutbirder said...

I was in Cades Cove once but can't remember this particular interesting barn. Wondering if this is the place where we took a ride on a haywagon with a bunch of other tourists?

Leedra said...

You probably started at the beginning. My children went this past weekend on a hay ride through Cades Cove with their Father. It goes the whole loop. This cabin is toward the end.

Jen said...

I remember this barn
These are great picture of it. How very interesting that you know this family.

Gill - That British Woman said...

I remember everytime we have been there its always busy with people. Great photos.

Gill in Canada

A Colorful World said...

Great barn! Really interesting design! How neat that you remembered Tip's birthday...I know that thrilled him.