Sunday, September 7, 2008

Common Wood Nymph

This is my first Common Wood Nymph. Notice how he just blends in with the environment.He moved along the trail with us for about 50 ft, then I lost sight of him.
Took me a while to figure this one out, but hopefully I got it correct.
I know birders have a lifer list.
But I have a butterfly photographed lifer list. And even if I have the name wrong, it is still a first for me. Hap can probably tell me if I am correct with the name. Remember this was in the GSMNP, some of the options I found were only out west, which eliminated them from the choice.

I actually have a photograph of each butterfly and add a magnet and have them together on the door going out to the sunroom. My husband looked at it last weekend and commented on how it had grown this year. I still need to get some of them on the 'board'. Maybe at the end of this session I will photograph the door and post that.

7 comments:

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Leedra: Beautiful capture of the butterfly. I had a first this week and will be posting it tonight. I see you have it on the sidebar.

Unknown said...

Very cool. I actually photographed two butterflies mating yesterday, going to post them hope they turn out okay.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely photos, always a great pleasure to find something new.

Shelley said...

What nice photos of a cool butterfly - love how he blends in! I'm just starting to get to know my butterflies. Think I can only identify 3 so far - LOL!

Matt said...

Nice shots.

Anonymous said...

Leedra, gotta agree with you, it
looks like common wood nymph to me
too. I don't believe I have ever
seen one in MN with that large
pale patch on the forewing. Great
shots. Looking forward to that
photo of the door!
Hap in New Hope (MN)

Anonymous said...

Re your June 25, 2008 post, it is
a butterfly known as the Question
Mark.
Hap in New Hope (MN)