Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Flycatcher - Eastern Kingbird

UPDATE....due to comments, I went back to the research book, as promised. And I agree the white at the tail tip means it is an Eastern Kingbird. Thanks Michelerf for pointing that out. I kept looking for the red on top of the head, but now catch the book says the red crown mark is rarely seen. I agree it is an Eastern Kingbird. Thanks for the help. But which one?
I am thinking Eastern Phoebe
but then there is the Eastern Kingbird, or the Eastern Pewee
They can all be in East Tennessee. I keep looking at how flat his head looks, and I keep going back to the Eastern Phoebe. The book also says "repeatedly bobs tail", which this bird was doing up on the wire. There were 2 on the wire. The top 3 photos are from Monday, I only saw one bird on Monday. The bottom 2 photos are from Tuesday, there were 2 birds. Both days when I got close enough that it/they took off they flew back toward the woods. My yard is very open. This is a first time for this bird. One to that life list, if I just knew which bird it is. Please help, and I will update the post.

4 comments:

troutbirder said...

Yikes. For a novice birder (me) this is a bit daunting. I'm going with the Eastern Kingbird by quoting my birding mentor "the comlete white tail band is diagnostic" but then he said the same thing about the tail wagging for the Easter Phoebe. Mmmmm

Leedra said...

Glad to see somebody else is struggling with this one. I don't feel all alone now. Maybe somebody will come along and help us out with this.

MicheleRF said...

Bravo, yes, eastern kingbird! The white band across the tail is a give away. They are very photogenic and you took full advantage. Sweet shots!

John Theberge said...

Great photos and thanks for visiting my blog. I also enjoyed your painted lady butterfly shots from a couple of days ago.