Friday, July 18, 2008

Dragonfly in the field behind my house




Wednesday thought I would walk out behind our property in the general area the deer roam. Sunday afternoon we saw a Mama and baby. Thought I might get a little closer. Never saw any deer, but I got these 2 photos of a dragonfly. When I took these photos I said I refuse to start researching dragonflies. But this being the best photograph yet, and EcoBirder giving so much information, I decided I had to try. It is just in my nature, so I found this great web site about dragonflies, and have decided this is a female Common Whitetail. Since this is my first attempt at dragonflies I will welcome any correcting information if I am wrong.

6 comments:

troutbirder said...

These closeups are awesome. I admire your spunk for trying new things. :)

Baker Watson said...

Good captures. And thanks for mentioning Ecobirder. I visited his blog. He has great photo's with interesting commentary.

(BTW - Just thought you might want to know. I had trouble with the link to the dragonfly site you included in the post. Not sure what the issue was, but I was eventually able to get there. It's a good resource that I frequently use.)

Leedra said...

Thank you for letting me know about the link not working. I have corrected now. Ecobirder inspires me. Thanks for visiting and I hope you will return.

jalynn01 said...

First thank you for stopping by my blog! I looked over your blog... you have some nice photos. I will be back to check on your future captures. Dragonflies are so hard to get, you did good! I love your daylilies! The killdear! and your many butterflies on various flowers.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful! You have a wonderful blog.

Ecobirder said...

Leedra, thanks for the mention. Great shots and you are correct they are female whitetails. You did a good job for your first dragon pics considering that it is a little tricky to tell the difference between the female whitetail and the female 12-spotted skimmer. I will look forward to seeing more dragon pics on your blog in the future.